Comprehensive safety measures are fundamental to quality child programs. However, at the same time overprotective measures must not stifle a stimulating and enjoyable environment.
So, we strive to maintain a responsible balance and all staff are made aware of issues and areas requiring vigilant attention. The following outline assists staff in maintaining high standards of safety within the centre:
• Equipment is constantly checked by staff members for broken pieces, sharp edges etc;
• Toys are free of small objects that can be detached, swallowed and/or inhaled;
• Outdoor areas are regularly checked for potential hazards;
• Swing areas are well supervised;
• Sandpits are kept clean, safe and are covered at night;
• All electrical outlets are kept covered;
• Fans are shielded;
• When attending to children on change tables, staff keep a firm hold on the child at all times; and
• Cleaning chemicals and medication are clearly labelled and stored safely away from children.